Appendix C: Coding for Street and Building Condition
I. Building Condition Coding:
This Building is an example of structures that were coded as "good".
- Good: A building coded as good has no structural damage, it is clean, well maintained and conforms to the character of the neighborhood. Note: the tree in front of this building is alive, but has yet to spout leaves from the buds.
Below is an example of a building coded as fair.
- Fair: The structure needs minor cosmetic repairs that might include: painting, new signs, broken windows, new lighting, repair of rain gutters, graffiti, clean sidewalk, or just too much physical security devices. In the case of this building the lack of windows, the roll down gate, the dead tree in front, its scale, and the graffiti on the side were the reasons for its rating.
The photograph below is an example of a building that was coded as poor.
- Poor: The structure has some structural problems and or a multitude of cosmetic repairs to be done. Structural problems include: new siding, need for replacement windows, deteriorating brick/masonry facade, new sidewalks, and possibly some level of vacancy, but is not abandoned.
The building below has deteriorated to the condition of bad from its once majestic past.
- Bad: The structure has more than three structural problems, or just a cracked/deteriorating foundation. Could be defined as need to be demolished.
II. Street Condition Coding
This section of sidewalk received a rating of good.
- Good: Good: A good rating would include these street-scape attributes: good lighting, trees, scale of street to building less than 3:1, trash cans, defined cross walk( where appropriate, i.e. at intersections), clean well maintained sidewalk, modulated and cohesive design of structure, and pedestrian are buffered from automobile.
The area near Fairmont Cemetery was rated as fair, due to the condition of the sidewalk pavement, the presence of debris and the chain link fencing .
- Fair: Missing more 1-2 of the above street-scape characteristics discussed in the description of a good condition.
The sidewalk below was rated as poor because of its condition, debris, chain link fencing, the vacant land adjacent to it, the lack of lighting and overall feeling of safety.
- Poor: Missing more 3-5 of the street-scape characteristics.
Below is a sidewalk that was rated as bad.
D) Bad: Missing more than 5 of the streetscape characteristics