Civic Square Building, room 391
Phone (848) 932-2828
Fax (732) 932-1771
- Demographics and Housing
- Regional and New Jersey Economics
- Development Patterns and Transportation
Selected Publications and Activities
- "U.S. Employment Travels Long, Bumpy Road to Recovery" Phi Kappa Phi Forum, Summer 2010, Vol. 90 No. 2 (jointly)
- "A New Decade Unfolds," NEW JERSEY MUNICIPALITIES, Volume 87, No. 1, January 2010 (jointly)
- "The Economy," Maxine N. Lurie & Peter O. Wacker, eds, Mapping New Jersey: An Evolving Landscape (New Brunswick: Rivergate Books, 2009) (jointly)
- "Tri-State Affluence: Losing by Winning" STATE TAX NOTES, Current & Quotable, Volume 34, Number 9, 2004
- "Housing Bubble or Rational Price Appreciation" APPRAISAL JOURNAL, Volume LXXII, Number 3, Summer 2004
- "The New York Region's Post-September 11 Economic Geography," Transportation Quarterly, Fall 2002
- America's Demographic Tapestry: Baseline for the New Millennium (Rutgers University Press, 1999)
Dr. James W. Hughes is the dean of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University, appointed to that position in 1995. He has been a member of the faculty since 1971. In addition, since 1988 he has also been the Director of the Rutgers Regional Report which, during its 23-year tenure, has produced 35 major economic/demographic/housing studies on New Jersey and the New York region.
He is a nationally-recognized academic expert on demographics, housing, and regional economics, and was a contributing editor to the magazine American Demographics. He is author or co-author of 33 books and monographs and more than 150 articles, generally focusing on housing, demographics and economic development patterns. Among these are The Atlantic City Gamble (published by the Harvard University Press), The Dynamics of America's Housing, America's New Market Geography, and America's Demographic Tapestry: Baseline for the New Millennium (published by the Rutgers University Press).
He has provided extensive budgetary and economic testimony before many New Jersey State Legislative committees, and has provided numerous policy briefings both in Washington and Trenton on demographics, housing and the economy. He was a Distinguished Fellow of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), and has been awarded the Warren Hill Award of the New Jersey Bankers Association, the Rutgers’ Richard P. McCormick Award for Excellence in Alumni Leadership, the Rutgers Presidential Award for Distinguished Public Service, as well as the Distinguished Service Award of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association. He has been both a Woodrow Wilson and Ford Foundation Fellow and has served as a consultant to numerous federal, state and local public bodies as well as to many private and corporate clients.
He was recently a member of Governor Christie’s Housing Opportunity Task Force. In the past, he was on the NJ Governor’s Commission on Jobs, Growth and Economic Development, and the Governor’s Logistics Council. He was on the Real Estate Task Force of the Governor's Economic Master Plan Commission and was a member and Trustee of the successor commission: Prosperity New Jersey. He formerly was on the Board of the E’Town Corporation (N.Y. Stock Exchange) and the Board of the Cali Real Estate Investment Trust (NY Stock Exchange). He was also a member of the Board of Advisors of the Mack-Cali Real Estate Investment Trust (N.Y. Stock Exchange). He has also served on numerous other boards and task forces, including the Board of Directors of the Cooperative Housing Foundation (Washington, D.C.), the Economic Advisors Board of the Council of the City of New York, the (New Jersey) Governor’s Property Tax Commission, and the (New Jersey) Governor’s World Class Economy Task Force.
Complete Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
Download Dean Hughes bio (.doc) updated September 1, 2012
Download Dean Hughes photo (high resolution). Credit: Photo by Larry Levanti
Looking for one of Jim Hughes' presentations? Click here. (please be sure to check with Marcia Hannigan for the correct file!)