Dean, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicyB.S. (Engineering), Rutgers College; M.C.R.P. and Ph.D., Rutgers University
- Room 391, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2828
- Demographics and Housing
- Regional and New Jersey Economics
- Development Patterns and Transportation
Dr. James W. Hughes is Distinguished Professor and Dean of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. He is the Director of the Rutgers Regional Report, which has produced over 40 major economic, demographic, and real estate studies on New Jersey and the broader metropolitan region.
He is a nationally-recognized academic expert on demographics, housing, and regional economics. He is author or co-author of 34 books and monographs and more than 150 articles. Among his books are New Jersey’s Postsuburban Economy, published by the Rutgers University Press, and The Atlantic City Gamble, published by the Harvard University Press. He was also a contributing editor to the magazine American Demographics for 14 years.
Among his recent awards are the 2014 Distinguished Service Award of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities, the Rutgers School of Engineering 2014 Medal of Excellence, the Warren Hill Award of the New Jersey Bankers Association, the Rutgers’ Richard P. McCormick Award for Excellence in Alumni Leadership, the Distinguished Service Award of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association, and the Rutgers Presidential Award for Distinguished Public Service. Dean Hughes has been both a Woodrow Wilson and Ford Foundation Fellow and was a Distinguished Fellow of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.
Dean Hughes has provided extensive budgetary and economic testimony before many New Jersey State Legislative committees, and has provided numerous policy briefings both in Washington and Trenton on demographics, housing and the economy. He has served on numerous commissions and task forces, including NJ Governor’s Commission on Jobs, Growth and Economic Development, the Economic Advisors Board of the Council of the City of New York, the NJ Governor’s World Class Economy Task Force, and the NJ Governor’s Property Tax Commission. Dean Hughes was previously on the corporate boards of the E’Town Corporation and the Cali Real Estate Investment Trust, and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Cooperative Housing Foundation in Washington, D.C.
Dean Hughes is a military veteran who served as an artillery officer in the U.S. Army.
Download Jim Hughes bio (.doc) updated March 13, 2015
Download Dean Hughes photo (high resolution) Credit: Photo by Larry Levanti
(please be sure to check with Marcia Hannigan for the correct file!)
- New Brunswick Presentation 2-1-13 (PDF)
- CNJG Economic Pictures 5-17-12 (PDF)
- CNJG Economic Overview 5-17-12 (PDF)
- Leadership Hunterdon 12-16-11 (PPT)
- Leadership Hunterdon Economic Pictures (PPT)
- C-Suite Presentation 5-22-12 (PPT, with animation)
- C-Suite Presentation 5-22-12 (PDF)
- 2014: Hughes, James W., and Seneca, Joseph J. New Jersey’s Postsuburban Economy Rutgers University Press.
- 2010: “U.S. Employment Travels Long, Bumpy Road to Recovery” Phi Kappa Phi Forum, Summer 2010, Vol. 90 No. 2
- 2010: “A New Decade Unfolds,” NEW JERSEY MUNICIPALITIES, Volume 87, No. 1, January 2010
- “The Economy,” Maxine N. Lurie & Peter O. Wacker, eds, Mapping New Jersey: An Evolving Landscape (New Brunswick: Rivergate Books, 2009)
- “Tri-State Affluence: Losing by Winning” STATE TAX NOTES, Current & Quotable, Volume 34, Number 9, 2004
- “Housing Bubble or Rational Price Appreciation” APPRAISAL JOURNAL, Volume LXXII, Number 3, Summer 2004
- “The New York Region’s Post-September 11 Economic Geography,” Transportation Quarterly, Fall 2002
- America’s Demographic Tapestry: Baseline for the New Millennium (Rutgers University Press, 1999)