Director, Center for Urban Policy ResearchB.A., Brooklyn College; M.P.A. Bernard College; M.C.R.P. and Ph.D., Rutgers University
- Room 494, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2374
- Housing and Land Development
- Development Impact Assessment
- Historic Preservation
David Listokin is a Professor at the Center for Urban Policy Research of Rutgers University. He is a leading authority on public finance, development impact analysis, and historic preservation. Dr. Listokin has recently been analyzing strategies to quantify the economic benefits of historic preservation, research sponsored by the federal government (National Park Service), state governments (e.g., Texas and Florida), and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
He has written and edited 25 books, including The Subdivision and Site Plan Handbook, Development Impact Assessment, The Fiscal Impact Handbook, Living Cities, Landmarks Preservation and the Property Tax, and Mortgage Lending and Race.
Over the past two decades, Dr. Listokin has served as principal investigator for a wide range of clients, including the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Department of State, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Fannie Mae Foundation, and the Twentieth Century Fund. Dr. Listokin’s model residential subdivision and site plan ordinance, co-authored with Carole Walker, has been adopted by New Jersey as the statewide uniform code. Dr. Listokin is currently working on a HUD-funded study analyzing regulatory impediments to rehabilitation and on an analysis funded by the National Parks Service that quantifies the economic benefits of historic preservation.
- Historic Preservation
- Historic Preservation
- International Historic Preservation
- Seminar Urban Planning
- Planning Studio
- Urban Redevelopment
- 2016: Listokin, David, James W. Hughes and Dorothea Berkhout. New Brunswick, New Jersey: The Decline and Revitalization of Urban America. Rutgers University Press.
- 2014: Historic Preservation:caring for our Expanding Legacy (London:Springer, October 2014). Contributing author, Michael Tomlan, main author
- 2014: The Complete Illustrated Book of Development Definitions (Piscataway, NJ: Transaction Press,2014) Co-author with Harvey Moskowitz, Carl Lindbloom, Richard Preiss and Dwight Merriam.
- 2013: Route 66: Economic Impact Study (New York, NY: World Monuments Fund,2013). principal author. ISBN10-09841732-3-4; ISBN13-978-09841732-3-5
Edited Books, Anthologies, Collections, Bibliographies
- 2014: Development and Preservation in Large Cities: An International Perspective– 2014 Edition. (Naples, Italy: La Scuola di Pitagora, 2013) Co-editor with Carmine Gambardella
- 2013: Development and Preservation in Large Cities: an international Perspective–2013 edition (Naples, Italy: La Scoula di Pitagora,2013) Co-editor with Carmine Gambardella ISBN 978-88-6542-320-2
Articles in Refereed Journals
- 2016: Clinton J. Andrews, David Hattis, David Listokin, Jennifer A. Senick, Gabriel B. Sherman, and Jennifer Souder. Energy- Efficient Re-Use of Existing Commercial Buildings,” Journal of the American Planning Association. Vol. 82 , Iss. 2,2016
Major Research Reports
- 2017: Report on the Economic Impacts of the Federal Historic tax Credit. With Michael Lahr .Research conducted for the National Park Service.
2016: Mortgage Lending on Tribal Lands. Co-author with Kenneth Temkin, Nancy Pindus and David Stanek. Report prepared for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- 2016: Report on the Economic Impacts of the Federal Historic Tax Credit with Michael Lahr. Research conducted for the National Park Service.
- 2016: Business Improvement District: Background History and Financing. Co-author with Sharone Small. Report prepared for the Newark Downtown District.
- 2016: Guide to Facilitate Historic Preservation Through Transit-Oriented Development. Co-author with John Renne. Report prepared for the Southwest Region University Transportation Center, Texas A&M University
- 2015: Native American Mortgage Financing. With Kenneth Temkin and David Stanek. Research conducted for the Urban Institute.
- 2015: Economic Impact of Historic Preservation in Texas. With Michael Lahr and University of Texas (Center for Sustainable Development). Research conducted for the Texas Historical Commission.
- 2015: Transit Oriented Development and Historic Preservation. With John Renne. Research conducted for University of New Orleans Transit Institute.
- 2015: Report on the Economic Impacts on the Federal Historic Tax Credit. With Michael Lahr. Research conducted for the National Park Service.
- 2014: Report on the Economic Impacts of the Federal Historic Tax Credit. With Michael Lahr,Research conducted for the National Park Service
- 2013: Report on the Economic Impacts of the Federal Historic Tax Crredit. With Michael Lahr. Research conducted for the National Park Service.
- 2007: Local Public Finance Database (Download Excel file)
- 2006: Local Public Finance Database Report (PDF)