Associate Research ProfessorB.A. and M.A. in Journalism and Master of City Planning, The Ohio State University; M.B.A., Wright State University
- Room 247, Civic Square Building
- (848) 932-2749
- Land use law
- Planning statute reform
- State growth management
- Affordable housing
- Planning and zoning administration
- Impact analysis
- Public administration and finance
- Comprehensive planning
Stuart Meck is an associate research professor and previous director of the Center for Planning Practice in the Bloustein School. He teaches planning law, planning and land use administration, history and theory of planning, ethics in planning and public policy, and transportation impact analysis for development proposals. A specialist in planning statute reform and land use controls, Meck is a former national president of the American Planning Association, has 44 years of experience as a professional planner, researcher, and municipal administrator, and has written widely on planning and land use controls. His two major works are the Growing Smart Legislative Guidebook: Model Statutes for Planning and the Management of Change, 2002 edition (American Planning Association, 2002), for which he served as principal investigator and general editor; and, with Kenneth Pearlman, Ohio Planning and Zoning Law, 20th edition (Thomson-Reuters-West 2015), which is published annually. Meck is also a coauthor, with Professor Daniel R. Mandelker of the Washington University School of Law and several other attorneys and law professors, of Planning and Control of Land Development: Cases and Materials, 9th Edition (Lexis/Nexis, 2015). He serves as the Bloustein School’s faculty liaison to the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association.
He has done consulting work for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Czech Republic, the Fannie Mae Foundation, the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Hillsborough County, Florida, and the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, among others. He has also provided technical assistance to a number of New Jersey municipalities. He is headed up a team from Rutgers and Duncan Associates in Chicago that drafted a new zoning and subdivision code and zoning map for the U.S. Virgin Islands. Meck is a Fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners (FAICP) and a licensed Professional Planner (PP) in New Jersey. Meck holds a B.A. and an M.A. in Journalism and a Master of City Planning from the Ohio State University, and an M.B.A. from Wright State University. He is also an adjunct associate professor in the Goucher College Master of Historic Preservation program. A City of Trenton resident, he is a member of its Master Plan Steering Committee
- Survey of Planning Law Principles
- History and Theory of Planning
- Planning & Land Use Administration
- Seminar Urban Planning
- 2016: Daniel R. Mandelker, Carol Necole Brown, Stuart Meck, Dwight Merriam, Peter W. Salsich, Jr., Nancy Stroud, Julie Tappendorf. Planning and Control of Land Development, Cases and Material, Cases and Materials, 9th Edition (LexisNexis, 2015).
- 2015: With Kenneth Pearlman, Ohio Planning and Zoning Law, 2015 (20th) Edition. Eagan, MN: Thomson-Reuters, 2015. (published annually).
- 2015: “Analysis of Houston’s Development Controls for Exclusionary Impacts,” Appendix 2 in Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice (Houston, TX: City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department, August 2015): 180-200.
- 2014: New Jersey’s Mount Laurel Doctrine and Its Implementation: Under Attack, But Safe (for Now), Planning & Environmental Law, 66(1) (2014): 4-12.
- 2014: Book Review: A Review of “Climbing Mount Laurel: The Struggle for Affordable Housing and Social Mobility in an American Suburb”, Journal of the American Planning Association, 80:3 (2014) 277-278.
- 2012: With Rebecca C. Retzlaff, “President Jimmy Carter’s Urban Policy: A Reconstruction and An Appraisal,” Journal of Planning History 11(3) (2012): 242-280.
- 2011: “John M. Payne: Advocating for Affordable Housing in New Hampshire,” 63 Rutgers Law Review 789 (Spring 2011).
- 2011: With Eric Damian Kelly and Marya Morris, Handbook for Planning Law Principles and Practices for Northeastern Illinois. Prepared for the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) by Duncan Association and the Center for Planning Practice at Rutgers. Chicago: CMAP, 2011.
- 2011: With Daniel R. Mandelker et al., Planning and Control of Land Development:Cases and Materials, 8th Edition, and Teacher’s Manual. LexisNexis 2011.
- 2010: With Marya Morris, An Assessment of the Zoning and Subdivision Code of the U.S. Virgin Islands , Prepared for the U.S.V.I. Department of Planning and Natural Resources (New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers Center for Government Services, with Duncan Associates, Chicago, Illinois, July 2009).